What are textures? Who can use them? Where can they be used? Why are they important? How can you make them? These are just some of the questions that most people can think of when they hear the word textures. But in reality, textures are all around us—from smooth glass windows to rough concrete floors, textures are everywhere.
With downloadable texture samples, you may use this for all your digital creations. Enhance images with our wood texture downloads and give a wooden effect to your projects. If you prefer working with Adobe Photoshop, then we also have PSD texture downloads to make it convenient for you so you won’t have to bother looking anywhere else.
Old Paper Textures
Old Parchment Texture
Old Brown Texture
Old Vintage Texture
Old Grunge Texture
Free Texture Old Paper
Old Paper Texture
Paper Textures and What They’re Good For
Textures are the quality or the features of a particular surface which may either be flat, two-dimensional, or three-dimensional. Or to put it simply, textures are the qualities used to describe how smooth or rough a surface is.
Paper textures, on the other hand, are images that give a paper-like appearance, and these textures could either be a simple, clean, and smooth appearance or it could also have a more rough, crumpled-looking, and dirty feature. With old paper textures for example, usually include a dirty white or brownish color, and could also be crumpled with uneven edges.
Paper textures are used mostly by graphic artists to enhance the visual quality of images. For more information on why and where paper textures are used, read the few examples provided below:
- It can be used as an overlay for image frames or on text to add creativity to it.
- Paper textures can be used as a background image to provide a vintage look to your projects, your website, or even on your computer’s desktop.
But the uses of paper textures are not limited to those two only. There is virtually an endless possibility to use paper textures, and you just have to apply your own creativity to know it.
Crumpled Paper Textures
Crumpled Brown Paper
Crumpled Notebook Paper
Seamless Crumpled Paper
Black Crumpled Paper
Crumpled Soft Paper
Rough Blank Crumpled Paper
Digital Crumpled Textures
Grunge Paper Textures
Vintage Grunge Texture
Free High-Resolution Grunge Textures
Blue Grunge Texture
Stained Grunge Texture
Gold Grunge Texture
How Can Paper Textures Be Used?
Now that you have an idea on where to use these paper textures, the next thing to think about is how you may be able to use these paper textures,. This is not a very complicated process if you just follow the steps provided below:
- Decide whether you want to use your paper texture on a full page or you just want to use it for a small part of the page only.
- If you decided on going for a full page, make sure to use a texture image with a very high resolution to prevent it from becoming pixelated once stretched. But if your chosen image has a low resolution not appropriate for stretching to a larger size, you may choose to have it tiled or repeated instead.
- Choose from among the templates offered on our website, and once you have chosen the one that is appropriate for your project, download it by clicking on the download button.
- Take your template to the editing stage:
- Open the downloaded texture file on photoshop and set it as a background layer (if you want to alter the appearance of your texture image, you may do so freely).
- When adding more elements to your project, always add layers to keep your texture background apart from the other elements (Tip: lock your texture image to prevent from making accidental alterations to it).
- Once you are done editing your project with the texture in place, save it back to your computer in an uncompressed format (such as PNG) to preserve the resolution and quality.
In addition, these steps are not only limited to be used with paper textures. They can also be applied if you are planning to work with other types of textures, such as water textures and 3D textures.
Watercolor Paper Textures
Digital Watercolor Textures
Free Watercolor Texture
12 Watercolor Stained Textures
Free Red Watercolor Texture
Printable Watercolor Textures
Vintage Paper Textures
25 Vintage Textures
Antique Vintage Paper
High-Resolution Vintage Paper
4 Vintage Textures
Construction Paper Textures
Blue Construction Texture
Green Construction Texture
White Construction Texture
Red Construction Texture
The Types of Paper Textures
Paper textures can further be divided into four different types, which are the smooth, embossed, uncoated, and the coated paper texture.
- Smooth paper textures. These paper textures are plain and have no elevations, deepening, crumples, wrinkles, or even folds.
- Embossed paper textures. These paper textures contain noticeable raises or elevations on the surface.
- Uncoated paper textures. Paper textures that are matte in appearance.
- Coated paper textures. The type of paper texture that appears shiny and glossy.
The Varieties of Textures
There are two varieties in the world of textures, namely the physical (objective) and the visual (subjective) variety.
- Physical textures. This variety of texture is what we physically experience in our world. These textures are objective and tangible. Examples of these include the textures on wood, sand, paper, glass, and other surfaces which we are able to perceive clearly by touch.
- Visual textures. This variety refers to those that can not be touched, but only provide an illusion of the actual physical texture. It is a two-dimensional image with a three-dimensional illusion. We have mentioned that surfaces of sand, metal, and leather are examples of physical textures, but the samples of leather textures and sand textures on our website are considered to be examples of visual textures since the actual texture can not be felt by touching and are only an illusion of its real nature.
Kraft Paper Textures
Free Kraft Paper
Seamless Kraft Paper
White Kraft Paper
Royalty Kraft Textures
Ripped Paper Texture
Ripped Brown Texture
Ripped Lined Texture
Ripped White Textures
Ripped Paper Edge Texture
Wrinkled Paper Texture
Wrinkled Brown Texture
Wrinkled Notebook Texture
Vintage Wrinkled Texture
Old Wrinkled Texture
Tips for Textures
While you can use texture designs on almost anything, it is always better to have a better idea on where to use and how to use them to be able to take advantage of its features and qualities. This way, the end product of your projects will have a better appearance than when you’re simply using these textures at random.
- Use textures on existing images either as an overlay, a background, or by incorporating it on surfaces that have a solid color.
- Further enhance your downloaded textures by changing the hue, or applying distortion effects. Don’t be afraid to experiment on these textures.
- Make your own collection of textures. You can make new ones out of a single downloaded texture. Experiment and save them for future uses.
These tips are applicable not only to paper textures, but also to other kinds. Apply these tips when you are using fabric textures and see the endless possibilities of texture designs.
35+ Flat Logo Designs Download
13+ Bakery Logo Designs
23+ Downloadable Gift Cards
33+ Downloadable Textures
27+ Typography Designs Download
9+ Wedding Envelope Designs
36+ Billboard Templates and Designs
15+ Advertising Brochures in PSD
39+ Voucher Designs Download
8+ Summer Party Flyer Download
35+ Downloadable Event Flyers in PSD
9+ Business Company Brochures
10+ Corporate Brochures
11+ Event Postcard Designs
7+ Food Brochures